13th September 2014

After what seems like  an eternity since the lights went out on last season Littlehampton returned to action for the new season  by hosting  St Francis in the League.

With a flow of St Francis players appearing from the car park it was evident they had come at full strength and wanting to take all the points.

Littlehampton won the toss and decided to receive the kick off and soon made it clear they weren’t going to make things easy for the  bulky St Francis  pack with a strong start, soon finding themselves   in a good position  in the St Francis half but a turn over  and quick drive back upfield  led to the first score of the game  against the play  by St Francis to take an early 0-5 lead.

From the restart Littlehampton  soon  asserted themselves and for the next 20 minutes camped  in the St Francis half after a  good individual pick up and break from Gav Simmons, but were to come away empty handed after a contentious penalty  allowed St Francis to gather their thoughts and  break out of  their half  once again break upfield and score  another try in the corner to increase the score to 0-10.

Once again  the hosts weren’t willing to  let it go and within minutes were once again   deep in the visitors half   this time the penalty going their way and deciding to take the opportunity to open their account  … Craig Walters slotting the kick to close the gap at halftime to 3-10.

2nd half ..

Without hesitation Littlehampton start the stronger team winning the ball directly from the  kick off and  set about closing the deficit  and are soon  pressuring the St Francis line  but a  steal and clearing kick appear to have held them out … but a Gavin Wood gather and good solo run back  and well timed pass  let scrum half Scott Elliott   score in te corner to close the gap to  8-10

Seemingly  pleased with their  performance Littlehampton relax from the restart and allow St Francis to get within striking distance of their line … which after passing the ball wide, quickly, from a penalty  they  cross the line for their 3rd try to re-open the gap   to 8-15.

After a few strong words before the restart  Littlehampton,Once again,  show strength in going forward and are  soon into the St Francis half looking odds on to score again … and from a quickly taken penalty from  close quarters by Craig Walters , Gary Keirle crashes over  for Littlehamptons second try … Walters easily adds the extras to level the score at 15-15 and despite  attacks from both sides  that is the end to scoring  and the final whistle soon  sounds.


Foxen, Simmons,Clark, Stevenson,Strange, Robbie, Coles ,Keirle, Elliott, Grady,Best,Ritchie,Wood,Atkinson,Walters.


Quinney, Bull,Newman, Gareth


Next  week Littlehampton travel to Crawley 2’s for a 1pm kick off